5th Year Masters in Machine Learning
Machine Learning and statistical methods are increasingly used in many application areas including natural language processing, speech, vision, robotics, and computational biology. The 5th Year Masters in Machine Learning allows CMU undergraduates to complete a MS in Machine Learning in one additional year, by taking some of the required ML courses as an undergraduate. Students in this program take the same set of core courses as students receiving a PhD in Machine Learning, and also complete a Data Analysis Project.
Recommendations to students:
The program is open only to students that have taken 10-701 and received a grade of B+ or better, so students should aim to take this course by their junior year (or fall of their senior year at the latest). It is important to start on the Data Analysis Project (DAP) research early. The best way to do this is to get started on research during the junior or senior year, as part of a senior project, or one or more independent study electives. Another good way to make progress on DAP research is to do research over the summer between 4th and 5th years. This can be done by registering for the MS DAP Research course, or as independent study with your advisor. Taking another core course during the BS (e.g., in spring of the senior year) can free up more time for research during the 5th year.
Requirements for consideration:
- Must be graduating with a bachelors degree from Carnegie Mellon University.
- Must have taken three of the courses during their undergraduate years. These courses may also be used toward the BS.
- 10-701 with a grade of B+ or better
- one elective (12 units, 600-level or higher)
- one elective (9 or 12 units, 400-level or higher)
The 600-level and 400-level electives could be any of the electives recommended for the undergraduate minor. Undergraduate Minor ElectivesIf your program rounds to the nearest letter grade so that B+ shows up as B, please let us know in your application so that we can verify your grade.
Other courses may be allowed on request.
If you are taking 10-701 in fall of the senior year, let us know, and we will use your partial grade.
- Research Statement (1 page)
- Endorsement from prospective Data Analysis Project (DAP) advisor, of the form "I have reviewed X's research statement and am happy to supervise this DAP research."
48 units of core courses, 24 units Data Analysis Project, 36 units of applicable courses as undergrad for a total of 108 units.
- 10-701 Introduction to Machine Learning
- 10-702 Statistical Machine Learning
- 36-705 Intermediate Statistics
Plus any two of the following:
- 10-708 Probablistic Graphical Models
- 10-725 Convex Optimization
- 15-826 Multimedia Databases and Data Mining
- 15-750 Algorithms or 15-853 Algorithms in the Real World
MS DAP Research (normally 24 units over 2 semesters) -can be reduced if the student plans for an extra elective or increased if another core course was taken during the BS.
Students must be full time (have at least 36 units per semester).
A typical schedule for a student in the program might be:
- Courses taken in undergraduate program: 10-701 + 2 electives.
- Fall semester: 36-705 + another Core course + 12 units DAP research.
- Spring semester: 2 core courses and 12 units DAP research.
How To Apply:
Submit the application, C.V., 1 page research statement and your CMU transcript by October 12th to:
Dorothy Holland-Minkley (email@example.com)
Machine Learning Department
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Please have the prospective DAP advisor send email with their recommendation to Dorothy Holland-Minkley (firstname.lastname@example.org)