November 09, 2021
Machine Learning Department Summer Internships
The Machine Learning Department at Carnegie Mellon University is organizing a summer 2022 internship program with the theme "Machine Learning for all". The focus will be on performing research on cutting-edge machine learning systems to make them more robust, transparent, fair, and adapted to real world problems.
Given this focus, we are particularly looking for applicants who could bring a unique perspective that would help build more impactful machine learning systems. Some examples could be that you come from a group traditionally under-represented in computing and could bring a different perspective, have expertise in a particular application domain for which there are few machine learning solutions, or come from another academic discipline that could benefit from better machine learning technologies than currently exist.
During the internship you will work with one or more CMU faculty that are members of or affiliated with the Machine Learning Department, as well as graduate students or research scientists. The goals of the internship are to:
- Acquire proficiency in state-of-the-art machine learning techniques.
- Develop machine learning techniques that are more inclusive, ideally ones that are motivated by your own background or interests.
- If results warrant, write a research paper and publish your findings in an academic conference or journal.
The internship is planned to be in-person on CMU’s Pittsburgh campus for the entirety of the internship period assuming the COVID-19 situation allows at that point. If this is not possible, part or all of the internship will be conducted remotely. The internship will be financially supported, providing a modest stipend for living expenses, and also covering travel and lodging.
In order to be considered, you must:
- Be enrolled in a university as an undergraduate, master’s or PhD student, or be recently graduated and planning to continue to further graduate study.
- Be able to communicate in English.
- Have experience with programming.
In addition, it is desirable, but not required that you:
- Have some experience with statistics, probability, or machine learning.
Q: When will the internship start and for how long will it continue?
A: The internship will cover Summer 2022, and will be about 12 weeks long. It could start in late May (following CMU's academic year), but some adjustments (e.g. early May or June) could be made based on the schedule of you and your host.
Q: When can I expect to hear back?
A: All shortlisted candidates will be contacted by November 30th.
Please fill out the application form by November 22th, 2021 to apply.
If you have questions not covered by the above FAQ, please feel free to contact Laura Winter, the internship coordinator, and include “[Internship Inquiry]” in the title so we do not miss your email.
For More Information, Contact:
Laura Winter | email@example.com